Friday, June 1, 2012

Batch No. 54 - Apple Cores, Smoke Galore and a Blonde of some Uniqueness

Apple Cores, Smoke Galore,
and a Blonde of some Uniqueness

Brewed - May 27, 2012

Style - Blonde Ale / Other Smoked Beer



Ingredients:
  • 16.0 lbs. 2-Row
  • 1.0 lbs. Crystal 15L
  • 0.5 lbs. White Wheat
  • 1.5 oz. Willamette (60)
  • 0.5 oz. Willamette (20)
  • ~ 10 lbs. Smoked Apples (20)
  • Wyeast #1056 American Ale (2 packs / 1200 ml starter)

OG – 1.042
Primary – ?? days
Secondary - ?? days

Kegged - ??

FG - 1.008 (estimated)
Attenuation - 81% (estimated)
ABV - 4.5% (estimated)

Notes:

  • Blonde Ale brewed with ~ 10 lbs. of smoked apples curiosity of Brandon and his BGE; the lot was split between Gala and Fiji apples; like the smoked squash beer, I added this into the boil at the 20 min mark
  • Even though the inside of the apples were surprisingly moist and sealed off from the smoke when I cut them into smaller pieces, I don't expect to get much apple flavor, so I will probably be adding apple juice into one of the fermenters after I take a sample
  • Mash at ~ 152° for 60 minutes; 60 min boil
  • Grain Mill was out of commission, so I used an old coffee grinder; grains were finer than usual and that hurt the efficiency a bit as I expected to be more in the 1.050 OG range

1 comment:

  1. Wow I love this idea. How's it turn out ?

    ReplyDelete