Sunday, April 26, 2009

Transfer Batch No. 1

Date: November 4, 2007

At this point it's been 7 days since brewing.

Transferring from primary to secondary is pretty straightforward. The biggest concern here was keeping everything sanitary. I sanitized a new airlock, carboy (5 gal.), auto-siphon, tubing, funnel and thief for taking a sample. In the second photo you can see the auto-siphon taking the brew from the primary (above) to the secondary (below). Even though the auto-siphon has a protector on it, I generally hold it above the trub just to keep it from getting a little clogged and slowing down. After the transfer, you need to clean, clean and clean.

Also, it came to my attention later that not all homebrewers use an auto-siphon. This might be one of the most important items my beer kit came with - seriously!!

In this batch, I dry hopped 1.0 oz. of chinook hops in pellet form. Later one I would dry hop a beer using leafs hops. Long story short, dry hop with pellets!!



Krausen left overs



Transferring - gravity is key!!



Almost empty primary - plenty of trub



Dry hopped (pellets)



Hops starting to dissolve

No comments:

Post a Comment